SGOT (AST) is an enzyme found in all tissues with high metabolic activity,
- Skeletal Muscle
Elevations found in:
- Any traumatic injury to any of these structures.
- Any disease affecting one of these structures.
- Acute myocardial infarction (4-10X normal)
- Liver disease (10-100X normal)
- Once elevated, the SGOT remains elevated for several days, if the
injury is acute.
- If there is on-going injury, the SGOT will remain elevated
Decreased amounts found in:
- Uncontrolled diabetes with acidosis
||8-20 µ/L at 30º
|6-18 µ/L at 30º
||25-75 µ/L at 30º
*These are general values taken from a variety of
sources. The actual normal values may vary from lab to lab and from one
type of testing protocol to another.
Operational Medicine 2001, Health
Care in Military Settings, NAVMED P-5139, May 1, 2001, Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Street NW, Washington,
Military Obstetrics & Gynecology
© 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Medical Education Division,
Brookside Associates, Ltd.
All rights reserved
Other Brookside Products